Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Homemade Doughnuts

Happy new year to all.

Last week when it snowed I decided
to make homemade doughnuts.
I called my mother for her recipe and
took the plunge of making them alone.
Thank goodness my dear friend, Karana, stopped by 
on her way home from work to help me fry and glaze them.



 Let raise twice. Roll and cut out. Let raise again and fry.


 Fry, glaze and eat.


Homemade Doughnuts

5 cups water
5 Tbsp. dry yeast
1 Tbsp. sugar

 1 1/2 cups sugar
1 cup shortening (I used half butter, half Crisco)
5 eggs, beaten
4 tsp. salt
1 Tbsp. vanilla
1 Tbsp. nutmeg (cut back if you aren't a nutmeg fan)
15 cups of flour

Glaze
2 lbs. powdered sugar
2 Tbsp. cornstarch
1 cup milk
1 tsp. vanilla

Dissolve yeast and sugar in 1 cup of warm water. Set aside.

In a very large bowl: cream sugar and shortening. Add eggs,
salt, vanilla, and nutmeg. Mix until combined then add yeast mixture.
Add flour alternately with remaining 4 cups of water.
I used my small hand mixer for the first few cups of flour- 
then I used a wooden spoon to mix the rest of the flour in.
Cover and let raise double, punch down. Let raise double again.

Mix together glaze ingredients. Set aside.

Half dough and roll out to 1/2 in. thick. Cut circles and lay on a lightly
floured surface. Stretch doughnut centers out as you lay them down.
Let raise double again. Heat lard, canola oil or Crisco to 375 degrees.

It's important to maintain that temperature as at this temperature 
the oil seals the outside of the doughnut so it doesn't soak in. If the 
oil is too hot the doughnut will get too brown and crisp on the outside 
before the inside has time to be cooked through. If the oil is not 
hot enough, the doughnut will absorb too much of the oil and 
the texture will be soggy and greasy.  

Fry until golden brown. Lay on paper towels for a minute or so.
 Place doughnuts in rows on a wooden stick or wooden spoon handle. 
Lay across glaze bowl and pour glaze over doughnuts with a ladle. 
Let drip for a minute and place on trays. Eat as many
as you can fresh because they are the best!
Freeze for another snowy day.

Enjoy,
Hope

34 comments:

  1. Thank you for this recipe :-) My sons will love them. I´ll try them out tomorrow.
    Greetings from Germany, Sabine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yumm! I think to do this around Faschnat Day.

    And yes. Either baking big like this or sewing always comes about on a snowy day. ;) Must be the Mennonite in me. ;)

    I have several wooden dowels from my mom who has collected them over the years from all the linen wall calenders she would get year after year from her mom.

    special memories...

    ReplyDelete
  3. my only question is, why was i not around to steal one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for this recipe! I made a whole lot of awful doughnuts before I found this recipe. They turned out excellent, so excellent that I made a youtube video about them and provided a link to your blog. Thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to make these doughnuts thanks to imstillworkin's youtube video. If she says they are the BEST then they are! Gave my doughnut cutter away so I have to go shopping!
      Thanks Hope
      Thanks imstillworkin

      x0x
      Aunt Duddie

      Delete
    2. Hi My name is Carolyn (Kent) Kelsheimer,
      I watched imstillworkin 's video on how to make Hope's doughnuts. Can't wait to try them. BUT I do have a question... HOW many doughnuts do you get from this huge recipe??? WOW 15 cups of flour !! *LOL* I am guessing maybe 5 dozen or so??? Thanks again to both you ladies..
      :-)
      Carolyn Kelsheimer, Clinton, Indiana

      Delete
  5. This looks great, do you have a smaller recipe, this is very large for just me and my husband?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kelly, I am sorry to say that I do not. You could half the recipe and freeze the remaining doughnuts. They freeze well are nice to pull out the of the freezer later.

      Delete
  6. Thank you will be cooking donuts tomorrow

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for this recipe!Greetings from Hassan ,Stockholm

    ReplyDelete
  8. Excited to try this recipe. What yeast do you use?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Katsityay^thos OneidaJuly 20, 2013 at 5:47 PM

    I can wait to try this recipe. thank you so much

    ReplyDelete
  10. How long does the dough raise? It needs to raise twice, but about how long for each time? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I liked it too, exactly like Krispy Kreme.
    رائع .

    ReplyDelete
  12. this is by hand right?. how long i raise them for? do we use shortening to fry them. How much they make for 15 cups of flour.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Here is a smaller batch its 1/4 of the original recipe.
    1 1/4 cups water
    1 1/4 tbsp. dry yeast
    1 tsp. sugar

    1/3 cup sugar
    1/4 cup shortening
    1 egg, beaten
    1/2 tsp. salt
    1 tsp. vanilla extract
    1/4 tsp. nutmeg
    3 1/4 cups all purpose flour


    Glaze:
    2 cups powdered sugar
    1/2 tbsp. cornstarch
    1/4 cup milk
    1/2 tsp. vanilla

    ReplyDelete
  14. Here is the video to the smaller batch http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itdza8kY0zY hope it help all of you :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've never made donuts before so some questions...
    1. What do you mean when you say punch down the dough?
    2. How long does it take the dough to be ready?
    3. What was that pan you fried the donuts in and how long do you fry on each side?
    4. How soon after removing the donuts from the fryer do you dip them in the glaze?
    And Finally...
    5. How do you let the donuts cool?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Can you use the yeast raised dougnut mix for these??

    ReplyDelete
  17. thanks for smaller recipe. i was like wow 15 cups of flour.i would only make that many if i was having a party of 50 peeps

    ReplyDelete
  18. thats totally rad dude thanks for posting this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  19. has anyone made the original recipe and is able to tell those of us wondering how many donuts this recipe actually yields?

    ReplyDelete
  20. I think this recipe makes about 12 dozen at least.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Super Recipe, I tried the recipe after watching a video on Youtube. Thanks so much for sharing your Mom's recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  22. This recipe made THE BEST substitute dough for CINNAMON ROLLS! I used this other recipe for prep instructions and for the recipe for the icing only part. SUPERB! http://m.allrecipes.com/recipe/24556/cinnamon-rolls-iii

    ReplyDelete
  23. This looks sooooo good but I'm out of shortening , I'm gonna have buy some to make them tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Hope, thank you for sharing this scrumptious donuts. Just made it today and it turned out so goooood!!! God Bless You....

    ReplyDelete
  25. soooooooooo delicious <3

    ReplyDelete
  26. love cooking and donuts as well, I even play cooking games at http://papasgames.us/ but in real life my cooking sucks real bad :S

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi hope what type of flour do you use to make donut

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hi .. Since I really dont like nutmeg, can that be omitted ? or.. is it used in commercial donuts but just cant be tasted after frying them ? I can taste nutmeg a mile away sort of thing. But, like Chinese Sweet and Sour Chicken has a ton of garlic powder in and after fried cant taste it as be garlic powder but would be missing something without it. But then I havent disliked Garlic Powder since I was a child like Nutmeg.... Oh, and Thanks for the recipe !

    ReplyDelete
  29. hello how much yeast ? tablespoon or teaspoon ?

    ReplyDelete