Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Pickled Eggs

I love pickled eggs. Every year around Easter time, my Grandma Rhodes makes pickled eggs. I called her last week for her recipe.

"Well, Hope, you know I don't use a recipe. I just dump and pour. I have never used a cookbook."

If anyone knows my Grandma, you would have expected her to say that. Thankfully my Aunt Shirley was there and had the measurements for Grandma's pickled eggs.

If you want to add some natural color to your Easter table, this is just what you need to make.


 They are easy and lovely too. 
 

Grandma's Pickled Eggs

2 dozen hard boiled eggs
1 pint of pickled beets

1 cup of beet juice, drained from your canned beets
1 cup sugar
1 cup vinegar
1 tsp. salt

Cook your eggs as you would usually for hard boiled eggs.  
Run cool water over them and peel. It is better to use eggs 
that are a week old, they will peel easier.

Drain the juice off your beets and if you don't have a cup- add water 
to the beets and shake a bit to get more juice. Add beet juice, sugar, vinegar and salt to a saucepan. Bring to a boil. Place hard boiled eggs and beets in a gallon jar . Pour hot syrup over eggs and refrigerate. If it doesn't quite cover 
the top add a little hot water. Mine stuck out of the top a little so I just 
shook the jar a couple times a day so the eggs were pickled evenly. 
After three days they are ready to eat and will keep up to a month.



Enjoy!
Hope

1 comment:

  1. Beet Pickled Eggs!!! I have not had them in years. My grandmother always had a jar in the refrigerator all summer long. One of my favorite foods.
    Have a great day.
    Always, Queenie

    ReplyDelete