Wednesday, May 25, 2016

Sourdough Shortcake

Sourdough gets into everything I bake these days. And I'm not one bit sad about it. I picked strawberries yesterday and decided to make a shortcake. I looked up several sourdough shortcake recipes -but they all looked too complicated so I dug out my mama's shortcake recipe and revised it for sourdough.

I honestly had no idea if it would raise or be edible but I thought it was worth a try. And well. It turned out!




  Sourdough Shortcake

1 cup sourdough starter
2 cups flour
1 cup water

Mix together, cover and ferment on the counter for 4 hours.
The mixture with be thick.

Then add:
1/2 cup butter, melted
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg
 1/4 tsp salt 
1 tsp. vanilla

Mix together and pour into a greased 9" pan.
Sprinkle with sanding sugar. 
Let rest 30 minutes before baking.
Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes.

Enjoy!
Hope



13 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Hope! I too am guilty of making everything sourdough but I never tried shortcake. I'll be trying this as soon as my berries are ripe.
    Gina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel more guilty about discarding half of it than I am using sourdough for just about anything. As a result, I have 4 containers of starter from one batch. I'll continue to use it in just about anything. Why not? This shortcake recipe sounds like something I'll try immediately.

      Delete
  3. Looks great! My sourdough starter died off on me (*tears) but I'm going to try for it again once we're back home from a week away next week. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm new to sourdough and have done a couple loaves of bread. I have you recipe to my wife, along with 1 cup starter and she shipped up a great shortcake. Thanks

    ReplyDelete