Monday, June 10, 2013

Momma's Strawberry Shortcake

I grew up on strawberry shortcake. My mamma's recipe is the best. It's my Grandma Rhodes' recipe revised. I'm not sentimental at all.

My mother was meeting me after work and said she had extra strawberries. I asked if she had shortcake to bring along for Joshua's supper. So she mixed one up and brought me two warm pieces of shortcake. Thank you mother.

I came home in rush and made Josh a bowl of shortcake with strawberries. I set it in front of him and he started eating. I told him how mom would fix just strawberry shortcake for supper in the summer when we were kids. Feeling all nostalgic and such.

He replied, " that's a touching story, but is this really all I'm eating for supper."

I had to laugh.

I pulled some left overs out of the fridge with meat in them. So he ate dessert first tonight. I guess that tradition won't be carried on at our home.



 Wouldn't this cure your meat and potato hunger?

Momma's Strawberry Shortcake

1/2 cup butter, soft
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg
 1 cup milk
2 cups flour
3 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp. vanilla

Mix together and pour into a greased 9" pan.
Sprinkle with sanding sugar if you'd like.
Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes.

Have any of you eaten strawberry shortcake for a meal?

Somebody help me here!
Hope

11 comments:

  1. Men and their meat! Thank you for being so kind and sharing this recipe .... Meg

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Hope...been there done that... :) I think those were almost Jay's exact words as well! Loren was a baby, l was busy and all that...how easy to be able to fix "strawberry shortcake". Not!! But....it gets better...lol...at 50 plus, it's now ok! I enjoy your blog, of course its fun to sometimes see pics of our "shared" little guys! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yeah, my dad, being a first in line descendant from Grandma dear, is very supportive. My husband on the other hand will come in the house in the morning, eat a bagel slathered in cream cheese, and ask "What's for breakfast?" So I think I know better than to try a Strawberry Shortcake supper :-) Ruthie

    ReplyDelete
  4. My hubby looked at me, too, with a hairy eyeball, when I declared that Strawberry Shortcake was ALL there was going to be that night for dinner. ;)

    Yours looks delicious.

    Love your photos...

    always.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I grew up with shortcake for supper! And I think it was my dad who loved it the most :) Sometimes if we were extra hungry for that meal,mom would make hotdogs or some other smallish side dish to fill us up a bit better. But I'm on your side! I almost think it's something you had to grow up doing...other people just don't understand :) especially husbands...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmmm...you'll have to try Brenda's (Groff) recipe sometime. It's amazing! :) I thought maybe this was the same one since y'all have the same grandma....but I think hers only has about a TBSP of sugar in it.
    And yes, I grew up with only strawberry shortcake for supper and my husband thinks it's weird too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has 3 Tablespoons.:) I think it is the best too, but want to try Hope's recipe sometime. My recipe is probably the original that Aunt Sandra revised it from. We have strawberry shortcake for supper and James loves it!

      Delete
  7. yes, I grew up eating shortcake for a meal. I still love it, but with growing boys. They need something more, like your husband. I cant wait to try this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It was the opposite at our house. My (usually meat and potatoes) hubby grew up with Strawberry Shortcake for a meal and I thought it was strange! I adapted quickly though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just want to say thanks for an amazing recipe! I am thrilled to replace my Bisquick version! I am having company tonight and making it for the second time. The first time I made it was for my son's 13th birthday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are certainly welcome. I love sharing recipes! Especially since food bring folks together.

      Delete