Tuesday, August 30, 2016

Sourdough Bread

Hello friends! It's been awhile. Now that summer is nearing an end- I feel like I can breath again.

I've been making sourdough bread for months now. For years I tried to make a homemade bread that Josh would use for sandwiches. He always would say it was too heavy or crumbly. After a couple weeks of sourdough bread making I could finally make sandwiches for him with homemade bread!

I am now sharing a recipe I tweaked from the "Food for Life" cookbook. My friend, Kim, accidentally used all milk for the liquid one day and her bread was better than ever. So now I use all milk instead of part water. Thanks Kim!

 My first loaves that made me so proud - but were dense and heavy:)


 Scored loaf ready for baking.

The loaf that finally turned out. Most times they look like this - 
but there can be fluctuations depending on the weather.

I make cinnamon rolls and pizza dough with the same dough recipe.
It's so handy to mix up one recipe and make
different baked goods from the same dough. 


Sourdough Bread

2 cups sourdough starter
1 1/2 cups whole milk
 2 Tbsp. butter, melted
2 Tbsp. honey
5 - 5 1/2 cups King Arthur unbleached flour
2 1/2 tsp. sea salt

In a Kitchen Aid mixer with the dough hook,
knead first five ingredients for 3 minutes.

Cover your mixing bowl with a cloth and 
let dough rest for 20 minutes.

Uncover; add salt and knead for 5 minutes.

Place dough in a large bowl that has a lid. Grease 
bowl and dough with oil. Cover and let raise 
4 hours or until doubled in size. 

From this point you can make pizza or cinnamon rolls. 

For bread: Divide dough in half and shape into two loaves.
Place in greased bread pans and place loaves in a big container
with a lid and let raise again until doubled.

Score loaves and bake at 375 for 25-30 minutes or until
the center registers 195. I cover my loaves with foil around 
20 minutes so they don't get too brown.

Cool on baking racks and freeze one loaf for later that week.

I hope you enjoy!
Hope

5 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for posting this! I've been wanting to try that recipe but didn't have it available; now I need to go feed my starter and let him wake up a while ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope-
    I love hearing of others sourdough success! Your recipe looks similiar to mine. I sure remember the elation for FINALLY getting a sourdough loaf to be light.

    I don't think I've ever tried cinnamon rolls. I need to try them soon. I can't wait for cooler weather so I can feel like baking again.
    Gina

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have made this recipe many times, and have never had a real flop! Thank you so much for this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is your starter at peak height in the feeding cycle?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for this recipe! I have made it dozens of times in the post couple years and have not had it flop once!

    ReplyDelete