Monday, June 13, 2011

Apple Bars

Now it's back to the grindstone after
a week of vacation. We had a wonderful trip-
just relaxing and enjoying the beach.

My family came over this evening so
I threw together some apple bars.
I once had some delicious apples bars
with cream cheese and have never forgotten them.
I tried to create a recipe from what I remembered.
They tasted pretty much like I imagined.
That doesn't always happen.

 A shortbread crust* with layer of cream cheese 
filling topped with sugared apples.

*The crust recipe is from my Aunt Bonnie-
you can use it for all kinds of desserts.





 Only five left...



Apple Bars

Crust
1 1/2 cup flour 
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/4 cup sugar
1/8 tsp. baking powder
1/8 tsp. baking soda
a handful of crushed pecans

Filling
8 oz. cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. vanilla

2 Gala apples
3 Tbsp. sugar
1/4 tsp. cinnamon

Combine crust ingredients and lightly press in a 9 x 13 pan.
Mix together filling and spread over crust. Start with
small spoonfuls over the crust because the crust will pull 
up easily when spreading the filling. Peel apples and slice. 
Layer on top of the cream cheese filling. Combine sugar 
and cinnamon. Sprinkle over apples. Bake at 350 for 
35-40 minutes or until apples are slightly soft.

Enjoy,
Hope

No comments:

Post a Comment