Saturday, August 14, 2010

Wild Cherry-Raspberry Cinnamon Rolls

Rainy days always make good baking days.

We have two wild cherry trees on our property and Josh has been
wanting me to make jelly with them. He set out to pick them yesterday
and came back with about 3 inches of berries in his bucket. He had
been picking them for at least an hour. He suggested I help,
but I didn't take him up on it due to laundry and other obligations.

So they sat on the counter for a day, just taunting me to make something
out of them. Then a light turned on, "I'll cook the juice off of them and
thicken it for cinnamon roll filling." So that's what I did.

Wild cherries- consisting mostly of seeds


The rolled out dough with filling

Raising for the second time

Fresh out of the oven

Ready to eat

Cinnamon Rolls

2 cups warm water
5 Tbsp. yeast
1 Tbsp. sugar
2/3 cup butter, melted
1 cup sugar
4 beaten eggs
2 tsp. vanilla
1 Tbsp. salt
8 cups flour

Soak water, yeast and 1 Tbsp. sugar in one bowl. Beat butter,
1 cup sugar, eggs, vanilla and salt, then add to yeast mixture.
Add flour and let rise until double. Divide dough in half. Roll out
and spread with fruit filling*. Let rise until double. Bake at 350
for 10-12 minutes. Smother with Carmel icing.

Fruit Filling
 
I simmered the berries for about 20 minutes. Then ran them through a
strainer to get rid of the seeds and skins. I put the juice in a small
saucepan and added sugar to taste and a couple squirts of lemon juice.
Then thickened it with clear jel. (probably about 2-3 rounded tablespoons
dissolved in water, start with 2 and add more as needed.) I didn't like the
"wild sour taste" so I dissolved some raspberry jello in a small amount of water and stirred it in. The sit aside to cool. It was probably 4 cups.

 
Carmel Icing
 
1 cup butter
2 cups brown sugar
1/2 cup milk
4 cups 10X sugar
1 tsp. vanilla

 
Melt butter in saucepan. Add brown sugar and milk.
Heat just enough so sugar dissolves. Add powdered sugar and
vanilla, whip until smooth. Spread over warm cinnamon rolls.
 
Hope you enjoy!
Hope

3 comments:

  1. They look good enough for me to jump into my car and drive four hours just to get a taste. Make sure you put the coffee pot on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow wild cherries! I put out a sheet under the tree and caught a few, then I didn't know what to do with them. Your cinnamon rolls are delish! thanks - Grandmother H.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can just see Josh and Hope a few years down the road waddling around with their arms sticking out to the side because of all Hope's wonderful cooking! Yummy! - Aunt Coleen

    ReplyDelete