Thursday, July 28, 2011

Sweet Pickle Relish

Canning time has begun!
My mom gave me a huge bag of
cucumbers for sweet pickle relish.

Now for my sob story...
I have been working six days a week
with the toy store and my other job.
Canning, cleaning, and washing clothes
happens in the evenings after work.
So I am happily up at 11:30 canning relish.
It will be worth it in the end.
I am thankful I am healthy and able to work.

Have any of you canned relish?
I canned some last year and we loved it.
Since we live by a river, hot dog roasts
happen frequently so relish is a good thing
to have in our basement.
I also use this relish for tarter sauce
for fish. Just add a little mayo and
you have delicious tarter sauce.


I used my kitchen aid attachment to grate the cucumbers
and the onions. The peppers didn't work as well so I diced
them by hand. I have already asked for a food processor
for Christmas. Wonder if he will remember until then.


Let set in pickling salt for two hours, rinse, then drain.


All canned and ready for winter!


Sweet Pickle Relish

 6 cups chopped cucumbers
3 cups chopped green and or/ red sweet peppers
3 cups chopped onion
1/4 cup pickling salt
3 cups sugar
2 cups vinegar
1 Tbsp. celery seeds
1 Tbsp. mustard seeds
1/2 tsp. turmeric


Combine vegetables in a large bowl and sprinkle with
pickling salt: add enough water to cover. Let set for 2 hours.


Pour vegetable mixture in colander, rinse with
fresh water and drain well.


In a kettle combine sugar, vinegar, celery seeds, mustard seeds
and turmeric. Heat to boiling. Add vegetable mixture and
return to boiling. Cook uncovered for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.


Ladle relish into jars. Process filled jars in boiling water
canner for 10 minutes. Remove and cool.

This recipe is from dear Betty Crocker. One recipe makes
10 half pints. I made a triple recipe and it made 16 whole pints.


Enjoy!
Hope

3 comments:

  1. Hope! i just found this on Amelia's pintrest board. I just made relish for the first time and i love it! wish i would have seen yours sooner, it looks prettier with the red peppers =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I make this a few weeks back ,its a real easy and very tasty relish .

    ReplyDelete
  3. apple cider or white vinegar please

    ReplyDelete