Monday, October 3, 2011

Apple Dumplings

Fall is here... chilly weather and clear, crisp skies.
Fall is my favorite season. Something about
the coolness after a hot summer is so refreshing.

Bring on the soup and apple recipes.

I have made apple dumplings
for quite a few years now.
I break out this recipe every fall
and have never tried any other recipe.
It's from dear Esther Shank,
I modify a few things, but her
recipe is simple and delicious.


 Ready to make a huge mess. I should have taken after photos.


Lay apples on rolled out dough and cut around with a knife.


Cut square and fold centers together.


Apple dumplings are comfort food.


Mmmmm... find me some coffee.


Apple Dumplings

Dough:
4 cups flour
4 tsp. baking powder
2 tsp. salt
1 1/3 cup Crisco
1 cup milk

Mix together dry ingredients. Cut in Crisco with a fork. Then mix with
your hands until crumbly. Add milk and press into a ball. Set aside.

7 Gala apples, halved, peeled and cored
(I've tried other kinds, but Gala is the best.)

Divide dough in half. Roll out into a 14"x18" rectangle.
Arrange half of the apples on top of the dough and
cut around them with a knife. Just enough to cover
the apple. Cut one square and see if your guessing right.
Lay with the circle side down. Sprinkle each apple half
with a rounded tsp. of brown sugar, and a little
cinnamon. Top with a small slice of butter.
Fold ends to the center and pinch edges together.
Place in two 9x13 baking dishes.


Sauce:
1 cup white sugar
1 cup brown sugar
3 cups of water
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. nutmeg

4 Tbsp. butter

Combine in a saucepan. Heat to boiling. 
Remove from heat and add the butter.

Divide sauce and pour over apple dumplings.
Bake at 375 for 35 minutes.
Serve warm with ice cream.

Makes 14 apples dumplings.

Enjoy,
Hope

2 comments:

  1. I think I will put this in the "November Vandal Newsletter". I was going to do the dipped carmel apples but this just looks so good for a house full of company!! I'm impressed how you can take a picture with one hand while folding dough around an apple. Later girl

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just made this recipe and they turned out perfect. Thanks for posting!!

    ReplyDelete