Thursday, April 11, 2013

The Board

Creative title I know. But It all really started with a dirty, ugly, board. I'm always dreaming up new things to create. I think my husband gets weary of my ideas at times. But this time, since it was working with wood, he helped my dream come true.

I sanded a rough walnut board down that we had and a lovely wood grain appeared. Josh helped me put the finish on just in time for my mother-in-law's birthday dinner. There is something fulfilling about carrying out a idea you have in your head.

My idea was to have a long board down the middle of our table with a finished surface so I could put food straight on the board. I wanted the board to create a relaxed atmosphere of fun- with a meal that had lots of components and place them on the board. Then folks could create their food as they talk and eat whatever they wanted to.


A soft taco bar, an idea come true.


Homemade tortillas, go here for the recipe. 
Just roll them out thin and fry them on a griddle instead of in oil.


The calm before the storm...


... and the wind came.


It really was a fun, relaxing evening. We talked about all sorts of things as we grabbed and growled. Awkward doctor visits and such. Not sure how that conversation got started. Too bad the board doesn't have a voice recorder to record all the conversations that will be spoken over it.

Happy birthday to a wonderful mother-in-law.


Hope

7 comments:

  1. Very Creative!!

    I love the way you have all the "dishes"...displayed. The board brings it all together.

    Looks yummy and I bet "GONE!" at the end of meal..

    ReplyDelete
  2. So pretty!! I see my dear Mother's hands!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful display! Love reading all your food ideas. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the buffet board, Hope! It's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This IS beautiful! Sheri told me about this little party. And I know she was wanting so much to be there. Your blog is wonderful and I'm going to keep on reading. -Laura-- Sheri's neighbor.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, this is my first visit to your blog! We are a group of volunteers and starting a new initiative in a community in the same niche. Your blog provided us valuable information to work on. You have done a marvelous job

    Custom Team Apparel , Screen Printing Services & Custom Wall Signs

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with you. Thank you for sharing the update. It is interesting to have it discussed widely, so that we can gain more objective opinions.
    Signarama Simi Valley

    ReplyDelete