Thursday, January 5, 2012

Mexican Gumbo Soup

Well folks I'm back...
happy new year to all.

What are your new year's resolutions?
Mine is to eat healthier,
the first meal I cooked after my
new year's resolution was so healthy
my husband asked for barbeque sauce.
I guess I will have to find a happy medium.

I received my Christmas gift from Josh on Monday.
Somehow it was lost in the mail, and did not
come until a week after Christmas.
It was the newest Kitchen Aid food processor.
A beauty indeed. I've used it every night this week.

Tonight for dinner I tried to re-create Qdoba's gumbo soup.
I used a recipe online as a bounce board.
It tasted similar minus the cilantro- which I can live without.



Serve over brown rice and top with guacamole.

Mexican Gumbo Soup

3 large chicken breasts, cubed
2 T. butter
2 garlic cloves, minced or crushed
1/2 medium onion, chopped
1 tsp. cumin
1- 28 oz. can diced tomatoes
1- 4 oz. can chopped green chilies
1/2 lime, juiced
1- 15.5 oz. can black beans
1- 15.25 oz. can whole kernal corn
1/4 tsp. chili powder
1 sprig of fresh parsley, minced
salt and pepper to taste

Melt butter in pot. Cube chicken with scissors and add to butter.
Top chicken with garlic, onion and cumin. Cover and cook until done.
Add remaining ingredients and simmer for 15-20 minutes.
Serve over brown rice and top with guacamole.
Delicious and healthy at the same time.


Now for some food processor fun. Go here to see how cool it is.

 To make guacamole use 2 ripe avocados, 1/4 onion, 
a few cherry tomatoes, l/2 juice of a lime, salt and pepper.
Turn on high and taa daaa... you have nice, smooth guacamole.



Or if you like hummus you can quick make a bowl of that.

Hummus

1- 15 oz. can of garbanzo beans, drained
1/2 juice of a lime
1 garlic clove
2 T. olive oil
1/2 tsp. salt
dash of paprika

Add to food processor and turn on high until smooth.
Enjoy on pita chips or crackers.


Many more food processor recipes to come!



Blessings,
Hope


2 comments:

  1. Sounds refreshing and 'light'! [props to Josh on a great gift choice for you too!]
    - Amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. i have that exact same silver bowl as in your 1st picture! kinda cool. :) great cheery blog you have here. i love the warmth of good food, pics of food. awhile back i linked to your blog on FB and a lot of people said they are already a fan. :)

    ReplyDelete